- Join Community
- Post to Community
- Gift Paid Account
|Name:||Tales For the Longest Night of the Year|
|Posting Access:||All Members|
|Community description:||Fic theme community for the Winter Solstice, the Longest Night of the Year.|
Header by roxicons
Welcome to the_longest_night. This is a fic theme community similar to, and inspired by, such luminaries as the LiveJournal community 31_days -- but, as the name implies, our theme is the Winter Solstice, the Longest Night of the Year. How will you keep warm on the longest winter's night? Hopefully by posting your response to one of the twenty-one prompts supplied below. This year, the Winter Solstice is December 21st, and so all responses should be posted by that date -- though, if you wish to post later, I'm not going to be a rules-lawyer about it.
1. Sing the sad of heart to cheer.
2. The world will go on spinning.
3. Laughing off the icy chill of callous winter nights.
4. The tempest's howl it soothes my soul.
5. And sweeps his arctic sword across the sky.
6. The sun that brief December day.
7. Winter under cultivation is as arable as spring.
8. To hear the song begin.
9. For the old year lies a'dying.
10. Gladsome tidings now we bring.
11. Ring out the old, ring in the new.
12. We'll take a cup of kindness yet.
13. Snow had fallen, snow on snow.
14. The city is caught in the grip of ice.
15. All the shades of blue there are.
16. Too fragile for winter winds.
17. A candle burned on the table.
18. Between the woods and the frozen lake, on the darkest evening of the year.
19. Freeze, freeze, thou bitter sky.
20. There's no rush for the year to pass.
21. Mark ye well the song we sing.
1. The bells were a'ringing on mid-winter's night...
2. 'Winter dies into the spring, to be born again in autumn.'
3. 'Winter either bites with its teeth or lashes with its tail.'
4. 'Brew me a cup for a winter's night...'
5. 'Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories.'
6. 'Ring out, wild bells, to the wild sky, the flying cloud, the frosty light; the year is dying in the night; ring out, wild bells, and let him die.'
7. 'A sad tale's best for winter.'
8. 'The moment we indulge our affections, the world is metamorphosed -- there is no winter, there is no night.'
9. 'If on a winter's night a traveler...'
10. 'Shining in the darkness.'
11. 'No snowflake ever falls in the wrong place.'
12. 'Mother's Night.'
13. 'The velvety cool blackness, between the death of light and its new birth.'
14. A song for a winter's night
15. 'And their eyes full of tinsel and fire.'
16. 'My love a beacon in the night.'
17. 'The snow doesn't give a soft white damn who it touches.'
18. 'There is neither Heaven nor Earth, only snow, falling incessantly.'
19. 'In the bleak midwinter...'
20. 'The crown of the rising sun.'
21. 'A new day has begun.'
1. Please note the status of this community. I have rated it 18+ for the safety of all readers and participants and to allow the greatest range of expressive freedom in the theme responses. The production of nummy, nummy smut is not a requirement of the community but it is entirely allowed and actively encouraged. If you want to participate in the community or read its contents, you will need to be eighteen years of age or older. I will police this requirement carefully.
2. Genres, pairings, fandoms, or original fic are all open choice. There are no sign-ups or claims for particular characters or fandoms. Fanart is also welcome. Ratings may range from G to NC17.
3. One fic per theme per participant, please. Late submissions are fine, so long as all submissions are made by December 21st.
Subject line of your entry: [Series/Original] Fic Title
On the entry itself:
Applicable Warnings: (as required/desired)
Author's Notes: (as required/desired)
Please place all submissions under a cut.